Sunday, August 13, 2017

8/27/17 Through 9/2/17

8/27/17 Through 9/2/17

Sunday
Unsearchable the ways of God
No man can understand
But only watch and then applaud
The works of mighty hand

For who has been His counselor
Or given anything
His way is quite irregular
Directing everything

Though we cannot anticipate
One moment to the next
He calls us to participate
And let our faith be flexed

Monday
Oh Lord how little I can see
Of all that has surrounded me
How blind to glory present here
How steeped in selfish greed and fear

So hard I've worked for things I own
But have I yet your Spirit known?
I've worked for things that rust away
A fool that worked for paltry pay

But can I change and then somehow
Find wisdom, love, and beauty now
If I could but my heart attune
Your grace would come and rescue soon

Tuesday
What happened to my firm resolve?
Was that my faith that just dissolved?
Is there more care for man's respect,
That One who made me I reject?

My weakness is my greatest shame
For I know well Your Holy Name
And yet I fail to share the prize
For how I look to sinful eyes

Wednesday
So many times I hate to say
I turn from You throughout the day
To satisfy my appetites
For fleeting thrills or sweet delights

So base and beggarly my eyes
Enticed by such a slim disguise
How will I ever conquer sin
When I'm so weak and limp within?

So weak and yet too proud to show
The splendor of the One I know
Afraid of disapproval by
Some other faithless wimpy guy

I beg assistance for each day
That from these sins I'd turn away
And firmly fix my eyes on You 
The One whose love is strong and true

Thursday
I wish to stay awake but find
That sleep invades this feeble mind
I want to do as Jesus bids
But find it hard to raise these lids

Some time I need for peaceful rest
If I expect to be my best
For He will grant my every need
And give me finest wheat as feed

Friday
Indecency of every kind
Pollutes the soul and fills the mind
Of those who care not for His grace
But every fleeting pleasure chase

This way for you it must not be
Instead, your way be purity
Send lust and passion far away
Let love and honor rule the day

Saturday
This talent I must cultivate
And raise upon the vine
My duty not to abdicate
And lose this gift of mine

Return a harvest full and rich
The best from what I own
An offering of talent which
In me, has Master sown.






1 comment:

  1. I'll come back and read some more of your poetic pieces.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete